Identify Your Child’s Device Needs
January 10th, 2022
Update: Jan. 14, 2022
Clarification to Earlier Message
Earlier this week, families were asked to identify your child’s technology device needs and we would like to provide clarifying information. The purpose of the survey is simply to understand which students have a personal device available for instructional use in the event of a shift to virtual instruction. Due to supply chain shortages and delivery issues, HCPSS does not have a laptop for every student in the school system. Students with an HCPSS-issued device and who have a personal device available for use may be asked to return their HCPSS device so that it can be issued to students in need who do not have personal devices. This would only be if a school or cohort has to switch to virtual learning due to the pandemic. Having this data now will help each school with their transition plan and help to ensure that virtual instruction would be successful.
We ask all families—regardless of whether your child currently has an HCPSS device or not—to complete this survey.
- If your child has an HCPSS-issued device, indicate if they will need that device in the event of virtual instruction or could return it and have a personal device to use.
- If your child has not been issued a device, we need to know whether you will need one in the event of virtual instruction or already have a personal device available to use.
- Regardless of device status, we also need to know if your family does not have access to the internet at home.
As HCPSS plans for technology needs in the event of virtual instruction, HCPSS is requesting all families to complete a brief questionnaire regarding your child’s/children’s device needs. While the majority of students have been issued an HCPSS device, students in kindergarten and first grade are not assigned individual devices, and some students at other levels may not have an assigned device for various reasons.
Due to supply issues, HCPSS does not have enough computers for every student. The questionnaire is designed to be filled out for each child in the family, regardless of current device assignment. It will help determine which students without HCPSS devices would need them, and which students have HCPSS devices but could return them if necessary.
Please read completely before accessing the form:
Questionnaire options include:
- HCPSS Device – Selecting this option indicates the student would need to retain an existing HCPSS device, or be assigned a new one.
- Internet Access – Selecting this option indicates the student would need assistance with internet access, such as a hotspot or other means.
- HCPSS Device and Internet – Selecting this option indicates the student would need to retain an existing HCPSS device, or be assigned a new one, and would need assistance with internet access.
- None – Selecting this option indicates the student has a personal device available to use for instruction; they would not need a new HCPSS device or if they currently have one, they could return it for use by another student if necessary.
Access and complete the questionnaire
To complete the questionnaire:
- Log in to HCPSS Connect Synergy using parent/guardian credentials.
- Select “More Options” from the left navigation menu.
- Select “Student Technology.”
- Verify that the current HCPSS-issued device information at the top of the page is correct.
For each child:
*If your child is not listed/no device information shows, our records do not have the child currently in possession of an HCPSS device. You do not need to take any action in this section.
Any decision to transition a school to virtual will be made on a case-by-case basis in collaboration with the Howard County Health Department, and in consideration of multiple factors. We know that in-person learning and supports are most effective for children, and we are doing everything possible to keep students and staff in school buildings.
Resources on how to use HCPSS Connect may be found online, including instructions on how to reset parent/guardian passwords. If you need additional assistance using HCPSS Connect, please complete this Connect Help Form.