FARMs Participation Supports Title I Schools
September 23rd, 2021
Many HCPSS families are eligible to participate in the Free and Reduced Price Meals (FARMs) program, which provides children with a wide range of benefits including free or discounted college tuition, testing and application fees, academic and athletic program fees and many others in addition to free or discounted meals. Moreover, FARMs participation rates directly impact schools’ eligibility to receive valuable federal Title I funding, which provides resources that play a key role in student success.
Families are urged to check their eligibility and complete a FARMs application by October 10, to be reconciled by October 31, 2021, because Title I schools for the 2022-2023 school year will be determined by our number of qualifying students by that date. Many families have been financially impacted by the pandemic and may now be eligible for FARMs.
October 31 Deadline Impact
FARMs data as of October 31, 2021 is reported to the federal government. The school’s final count of students qualifying for FARMs as of that date will determine:
- The schools receiving Title I status for the following school year
- The type of Title I program the school is eligible to operate
- The amount of funding the school is eligible to receive
Uses of Title I Funds
Schools that receive Title I funds and are eligible to run a schoolwide program (FARMs rate of 40% or more) use that funding for resources and programs that support all students:
- Improve outcomes for low-achieving students through activities and strategies articulated in the school’s comprehensive school improvement plan
- Provide resources including but not limited to:
- Additional teachers
- During- and beyond-school-day tutoring in reading and mathematics
- Family programs
- Supplemental instructional materials
- Professional development for instructional staff
- Academic Intervention Summer School for rising kindergarteners
More information about the Title I program is available online, as are details on completing the FARMs application.