Continuity of Learning Updates May 5, 2020
May 5th, 2020
Following are updates, links and helpful resources.
Teacher Appreciation Week
This week HCPSS joins school systems and communities across the nation in celebrating Teacher Appreciation Week. This year has been like no other in demonstrating the critical role held by teachers in developing young minds. Teachers connect with, inspire and nurture their students while educating, and have an impact that can last a lifetime. Though Teacher Appreciation Week appears on the calendar only once a year, in Howard County we value our teachers’ commitment and dedication to our children every day.
School Supply Distribution
In partnership with the Bright Minds Foundation, HCPSS will distribute packs of essential school supplies for any students who do not have supplies at home. Supply packs will be distributed at all 14 Grab-N-Go meal sites on Friday, May 8, 11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m., as availability allows. Learn more.
Mental and Physical Health Community Resources
Children may need additional support beyond instruction during the COVID–19 school closings. Issues related to mental health such as fear, anxiety and depression are a concern, as are issues of physical health such as child abuse. Several community resources have been added to the HCPSS website for students, parents and community members in need of immediate assistance.
HCPSS is now scheduled to be in session on Tuesday, June 2, 2020, a day when the school system was previously scheduled to be closed. The 2019–2020 academic calendar is available online at https://www.hcpss.org/calendar//.
Quarter Three Report Cards
Quarter three report cards will not be printed. Report cards will posted online by Wednesday, May 6, when they will be available for parents/guardians to view and/or download:
- Log in to HCPSS Connect Synergy
- Select Academic Information from the left panel
- Select Student’s Report Cards from the middle
- Select 2019–2020 Q3 Report Card
HCPSS Summer Programs
As we await further determinations from the Maryland State Department of Education on the 2019–2020 school year, no decision has been made regarding our summer programs. Staff continue to plan for summer programs, including developing modified options. More information, including details on payment and withdrawals, can be found online.
- Access to Learning Fund Donation Matching: The Bright Minds Access to Learning Fund is raising money for education access supports for HCPSS students during the coronavirus school closure. Through a new matching donation opportunity, donations received will be matched dollar for dollar up to $15,000, thanks to The Kahlert Foundation. Learn more and donate.
- Attendance: Teachers at all levels will document student attendance during Continuity of Learning using a point system based on student participation in learning activities each week. More information, including specific indicators that will be used for each level is provided online. Español| 中文 | 한국어