HCPSS & The Council of Elders Virtual Community Academies, 2023-2024 School Year
September 26th, 2023
HCPSS and The Council of Elders of the Black Community of Howard County (TCOE) have partnered to sponsor the following parent workshops series. Each session will be held virtually on a Saturday from 9-10:30 a.m. Additional information about each session will be posted online and shared with families prior to each event.
- October 14: Navigating the Howard County Public School System
- December 16: Social Emotional Well-Being and Substance Abuse
- January 27: Processes for Parent Empowerment
- March 9: Healthy and Unhealthy Relationships – Register online
- Learn how to help their child manage peer conflict.
- Learn how to identify abuse in teen relationships.
- Gain skills and strategies to intervene, if needed.
This session covered how to effectively maintain communication with your child’s school. HCPSS staff demonstrated to parents how to monitor students’ performance by utilizing school system online resources. Additionally, families received strategies to help ensure successful parent-teacher conferences.
This session focused on how to effectively support students in maintaining positive Social and Emotional Well-Being and prevent substance misuse. Representatives from HCPSS and community partner organizations provided resources for social and emotional development and education on prevention, risk factors, and warning signs of substance misuse.
Elementary, middle and high school parents and families are invited to attend a virtual session regarding parent advocacy topics include: Bullying, Parent Concerns, Special Education, and Advanced Placement. Representatives from HCPSS will provide resources.
This session will explore the dynamics of healthy vs. unhealthy relationships and how to start conversations with children. In this interactive session, participants will: