Board Approves FY 2024 Capital Budget Proposal
October 7th, 2022
The Howard County Board of Education approved its Capital Budget Request for fiscal year (FY) 2024, FY 2025–2029 Capital Improvement Program, and FY 2024–2033 Long-Range Master Plan, following a public work session on Thursday, September 29, 2022.
The Board’s FY 2024 Capital Budget Request totals $67.7 million. Major items included in the FY 2024 Capital Budget request include:
- The completion of New High School #13, scheduled to open in September 2023;
- Planning for renovations/additions to Oakland Mills Middle School and Dunloggin Middle School, both slated to open in September 2027;
- Systemic renovations including HVAC replacements, boiler replacements, gymnasium HVAC retrofits, and secure vestibules; and
- Ongoing projects such as planning and design to address system needs.
The Board’s request amended the Superintendent’s Proposed Capital Budget and Long-Range Master Plan. Beyond the FY 2024 Capital Budget, the Board’s adopted Long-Range Master Plan also includes:
- A renovation and addition to Oakland Mills High School;
- New Elementary School #43, to be located in Turf Valley
- A renovation and addition to Centennial High School;
- A renovation to the Faulkner Ridge Center;
- An addition to Thomas Viaduct Middle School;
- A renovation and addition to Patapsco Middle School;
- A renovation and addition to Murray Hill Middle School;
- A Regional Early Development Center;
- New Elementary School #44, to be located in the southeastern portion of the County;
- A renovation to the Applications and Research Lab;
- A renovation to Jeffers Hill Elementary School; and
- New High School #14.
The Board’s approval of the proposed Capital Budget represents the next step in the annual Capital Budget process, which begins well in advance of the school system’s Operating Budget cycle, in order to accommodate deadlines associated with submission of the State Capital Budget.
The Board’s Proposed Capital Budget has been submitted to the Howard County Planning Board and County Council for consideration. Next, the Priority Listing of FY 2024 State Capital Budget Request is submitted to the Maryland Interagency Commission on School Construction. On February 16, 2023, the Board will adopt its budget request, which will then be submitted to the County Executive. In May 2023, the County Council will adopt the Howard County Capital Budget, and the Board will adopt the final Capital Budget.
The Board’s FY 2024 Capital Budget request and revised Priority Listing of FY 2024 State Capital Budget Request are provided online.