High School 2022-2023 Course Registration, Dec. 20, 2021-Jan. 18, 2022
December 15th, 2021
Español | 中文 | 한국어
Course selection for the 2022-2023 academic year will open Monday, Dec. 20, 2021 and run through Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2022 for current 8-11 grade students.
Beginning Dec. 20, students may view teachers’ course recommendations, and submit course requests and alternate requests by logging into Synergy, selecting Course Request from the left panel, and following the directions online. Parents/guardians may view course recommendations by logging into HCPSS Connect Synergy but cannot add course requests; this must be completed through the student’s account.
- Guides on how to complete Course Requests and Course Placement Reviews are available online.
- Students should use the Catalog of Approved High School Courses to review course selections, taking careful note of descriptions and prerequisites.
- Students will select seven credits and three alternates. Alternate selections should be added in priority order and without duplicates.
- If you do not agree with a teacher’s course recommendation you can complete a Course Placement Review (CPR) request form. The CPR request must be submitted electronically through the parent/guardian HCPSS Connect or to your school counselor. If a course option is not available in the drop down menu, students will need to complete the fillable CPR and submit it to their school counselor. Requests received by Jan. 18, 2022 will be given priority; requests received after this date will be accommodated if space is available.
- Dec. 20, 2021: Course registration opens
- Jan. 18, 2022: Course registration closes. Requests received after this date will be accommodated if space is available.
- Jan. 18 – Feb. 16, 2022:
- Current 8th graders will meet with their middle school counselors, as needed, to review student course requests through scheduled counselor/student appointments.
- Current 9th-11th graders will review individual requests and progress toward graduation requirements through scheduled counselor/student appointments.
- Spring 2022: Students and parents/guardians will have access to their list of registered courses by the end of the current school year.
- August 2022: Final 2022-2023 student schedules will be available prior to the start of the school year.
Graduation requirements are set and updated by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE), and may differ from the year of entry and the year of graduation. It is critical that families are aware of the graduation requirements that pertain to each graduating class. Please refer to the 2022-2023 Catalog of Approved High School Courses for graduation requirements and information.
Per MSDE, updated graduation requirements for students in Grade 9 in school year 2021–2022 or later include:
- An increase in the number of credits required for high school graduation from 21 to 22.
- An increase in the number of required credits in mathematics from 3 to 4 Note – Students will still have to take a mathematics course in each of their 4 years of high school (This requirement does not change.).
- An increase in the number of credits in health from 1/2 credit to 1 credit.
- Students who choose the World Language Program Choice, will need two credits of the same world language, which may include two credits of American Sign Language.
Students or parents/guardians with any questions should contact their school counselor.