HCPSS 2020-2021 Academic Calendar Revised
July 10th, 2020
At its meeting July 9, 2020, the Howard County Board of Education approved a delayed start for the 2020-2021 school year, to allow staff and families additional time to prepare in conjunction with planning for the fall amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Under the revised calendar, Tuesday, September 8 is the first student day, with school staff returning on August 25. Spring break is shortened to April 2–6, 2021, and the last scheduled day of school is June 15, 2021.
Key calendar changes include:
- First day for staff – August 25 (additional professional development days)
- First day for students – September 8 (two weeks later)
- Spring Break – Friday, April 2; Monday, April 5 and Tuesday, April 6 (shortened by three days)
- Last Day of School – June 15 (if no inclement weather closing days are needed)
Additional changes include:
- Change professional work day to student 3 hour early dismissal – October 16
- Change professional work day to full student day – November 2
- Change professional learning day to full student day – March 10
- Full day for all students – Wednesday, January 20 through Friday, January 22 (previously high schools closed 3 hours early)
- Full day for students – Monday, January 25 (previously schools closed for students)
- High schools close 3 hours early/No half-day Pre-K/RECC – Tuesday, January 26 through Thursday, January 28 (previously full day for students)
The full and revised 2020-2021 calendar can be viewed online. Calendar PDFs also are available for download.