Summer 2019 – Free Meals, Summer Learning, Planning for Next Year and More!
June 11th, 2019
We hope all our students, families and staff have a relaxing and fun summer. Here are some ways to stay connected until the 2019-2020 school year begins.
Jump to: Summer Meals | Summer Learning | 2019-2020 School Year
Running from June 25 through August 16 at some location and through August 21 at others, the HCPSS Summer Food Service Program expanded this year to 15 locations, up from six in 2018. Meals are FREE for all children ages 18 and under; no applications or registration required.
Tuesday, June 25-Friday, August 16 in the school cafeterias:
- Deep Run Elementary School, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Ducketts Lane Elementary School, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Stevens Forest Elementary School, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Mayfield Woods Middle School, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Oakland Mills Middle School, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Wilde Lake Middle School, 1-2 p.m.
- Atholton High School, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Hammond High School, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
Tuesday, June 25-Wednesday, August 21:
- Jeffers Hill Elementary School parking lot, 11:30 a.m.-Noon
- Phelps Luck Elementary School parking lot, 12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Swansfield Elementary School parking lot, 11:30 a.m.-Noon
- Howard High School parking lot, 1:15 p.m.-2:15 p.m.
- Dasher Green Pool, 12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m.
- On July 1, the summer meal program moved from the Wilde Lake Tennis Club to the Dasher Green Pool (6805 Cradlerock Way, Columbia)
- Howard County Library System-East Columbia Branch, Noon-1:30 p.m.
- North Laurel Community Center, Noon-1:30 p.m
PLEASE NOTE: Meals will not be served on Thursday, July 4, or any day that HCPSS schools are closed.
Recommended summer reading lists for students in all grade levels are developed by HCPSS library media specialists and Howard County Library System staff, and available online. Students are encouraged to check out other books by the authors included, as well as explore additional book topics at the library. Don’t forget to sign up for the library system’s Summer Reading program online or at your nearest branch.
A+ Student Card
All HCPSS students receive an A+ Student Card account number at the beginning of the school year. With it, they have access to all HCLS eContent by using their account number to login via hcpss.me. Using their A+ Student Card, students can place holds and check out physical materials, as well as take advantage of all the library’s digital resources.
OMMS Summer Library
The Oakland Mills Middle School Summer Library will open in July to all those age 18 and under. Children 8 and under must be accompanied by an adult. The Summer Library will be open July 1, 2, 3 and 5 from 8 a.m.-noon, and then Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 8 a.m.-noon, July 9-July 26.
All students have access to their school’s digital MackinVIA eBook and audiobook collection all summer long by logging in through hcpss.me with their active directory credentials. Students continue to have access to all the digital tools they used during the school year.
2019-2020 School Year
The 2019-2020 school year will begin for students Tuesday, September 3. You can view or download the school calendar online.
All you need to know for the school year–including bus information, back to school nights, supply lists and more–will be available by mid-August.
All parents/guardians are in our system to receive HCPSS and school emails/text messages. Parents of current students SHOULD NOT attempt to create a new account with your child’s 2019-2020 school. Our system will rollover in early August and parents will automatically receive communication from your child’s 2019-2020 school. Prior to that rollover, you will continue to receive communication from your child’s 2018-2019 school. Unsubscribing from these messages will block you from receiving messages for next school year as well. Please do not unsubscribe!
Parents/guardians with an oldest/only child starting school in the fall, will be automatically signed up for HCPSS and school communication in early August.